29 April 2009

Obama on abortion

i watched President Obama's press conference tonight, streaming on youtube, which i think is its own animal that may deserve its own attention. (we live in the information age. no denying it.) and the part that grabbed me the most was his answer to a reporter's question on the Freedom of Choice Act.

i love Obama's views on abortion; they are my own exactly:

"[...M]
y view on abortion, I think, has been very consistent. I think abortion is a moral issue and an ethical issue. I think that those who are pro-choice make a mistake [...] if they suggest [...] that this is simply an issue about women's freedom and that there's no other considerations. I think, look, this is an issue that people have to wrestle with, and families and individual women have to wrestle with.

The reason I'm pro-choice is because I don't think women take that position casually. I think that they struggle with these decisions each and every day, and I think they are in a better position to make these decisions, ultimately, than members of Congress or a president of the United States, in consultation with their families, with their doctors, with their clergy.

The other thing that I said consistently during the campaign is, I would like to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies that result in women feeling compelled to get an abortion or at least considering getting an abortion, particularly if we can reduce the number of teen pregnancies, which has started to spike up again."

i don't feel like this even needs any commentary on my part, because it would just be redundant.

(read the transcript on nytimes.com)

No comments: