09 March 2010

found - good news/bad news for Beltway gays

and Virginia makes #3:

Va. colleges told to strike LGBT anti-discrimination policies

IT IS 2010! GET WITH IT! this makes me so angry I want to write in all-caps!

what, exactly, constitutes "
insufficient authority" to decide that sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression are NOT good reasons to discriminate against people? and how can treating all of your citizens as equal be "invalid policy"? more to the point, why is this so?

in happier news, just across the river, same-sex couples start getting married in D.C. today.

what an interesting juxtaposition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to work my brain around the VA ruling and I just can't do it. Granted I know very little about the legal system, but it seems to me that if any of the colleges [formerly] with anti-discrimination policies had cases of mistreatment of their LGBT students, then they should be able to show that the anti-discrimination policy--whether it was "legal" or not--still benefitted these students. Just a thought.

As for #2, did you see this: http://glbtweddingservices.com/glbt_group-ceremony.html ?
How ironic that in a country where same-sex marriage has been so hotly debated, the world record may be broken for the largest wedding ceremony of any kind.

~B.