12 February 2012

second impressions

they can't be first impressions, because those were all formed over the summer and in september when i first arrived, when my life was immeasurably different than it is now (funny how quickly that can happen). i spent my first three months in Boston in complete and total unemployment, and it took me four months to start my full-time job. those kinds of impressions are different than the ones that are made when you settle into a routine.

this is something i had heard about bigger-city living, and i'm glad i'm getting the opportunity to experience it: i don't feel like i live in the city of Boston as much as i feel like i live in my neighborhood. my entire life--groceries, laundry, work, home, odds & ends--can be accomplished within walking distance. there's something to be said about that kind of insularity, something i didn't expect to find here.

it's kind of a cool feeling. i don't know my neighbors, per se, but there are familiar characters. it occurs to me that i might be a familiar character to some of them by now. i have a preference for the convenience store on my corner over the one on the next block. i'm friendly with the employees at the two closest beer stores. all of this takes place within a few blocks of the same street.

i like this part of living in a city, at least for right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes.

This was my experience growing up and is my experience once again this year, as gentrification has once again put me within walking distance of [almost] everything I need.

I bet you are already a familiar character to some. ;-)

~B.

Aurora Borealis_23 said...

hehe this post far more eloquently states some of the obvious similar things i felt when i finally started living int he city that i grew up only 10 miles outside of.

i was totally weirded out that i could go to whole foods for an after gym snack on the same block then cross the street to pick up the dish washer rack that I needed at the local hardware store. everything i could ever need within .25 miles.
and people that ride teh same bus route to and form work not to want openly attempt or admit to familiarizing themselves with others. freaky.

hehe characters, indeed.

Anonymous said...

For some reason, this post made me feel like crying. Maybe it's because I've never known that feeling, or maybe it's because I probably never will. It just seems beautiful in a way.
Who knew that settling into "real life" would be something to envy?

-D