24 September 2009

running

i had every intention today of going to the gym, getting on a treadmill, and running until i had thought through pretty much everything (or the machine cut me off, whichever came first). so i tried this, once i got going, and after a few seconds of what should i think about? and the incomprehensible drivel that inevitably follows, i wound up in a rhythmic mental repetition of, my thoughts need to
S l o w
D o w n .

and so i realized: the great thing about running is, you can't think. you can't think about anything but your body: what you're doing, how you're feeling, how to keep feeling that way or change it. (perhaps this is inappropriately placed in the global second-person.) there's something reassuring about that, being forced to put one's body--and, depending on your perception, one's self--before anything else.

if i'm here in this human shell and it enables all the other things that i do, i ought to pay attention to it once in a while.

3 comments:

Elise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Troll said...

The only response I have is "Yes".

Aurora Borealis_23 said...

i came to a similar revelation a week or so ago when I after a run I finally asked myself why I had been going out every night or twice a day...thanks for finding a clearer way of stating it.