20 February 2009

gender. fuck.

my life is consumed with gender!

the other day i did my hair different. spiked it up a little bit. (somebody told me "i like the 'i ran into a door' look you're going with"--i'm hoping that's just the "hang on, i'm still learning how to use hair gel and it looks like shit" phase.) anyway, there is this girl at work who always greets me with "hey girl!" and usually departs with "see you later girl!" and it really gets on my nerves, but she's just so nice about it that i feel bad bringing it up. (i don't mind being a woman, i actually kinda like it most of the time, but i can't stand girls.)

so on tuesday, she comes in at the end of my shift: "hey girl, how ya doin'?"

and then a short time later: "dude, i really like your hair!"

....wtf?!
i love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite stories as of late. It's fun to watch people unexpectedly shift their perspective and then a moment later watch them realize (or not) what just happened.

-B.

Troll said...

i've been sitting here trying to think of something to say, but i don't think i can say anything that wouldn't be redundant.
oh gender...what the fuck?
actor, indeed.

random thought. it's funny how it's okay for guys to wear pink as long as it has something to do with hating cancer.

"i like the baggy pants look. that's one of my favorite styles..."
we were just way ahead of the curve on that one, i guess ;)

i love how this has turned into a string of random observations and comments. cool that.

getting that in the mail made me so happy. i looked in the mirror and saw what i wanted to see. and i could still breathe. i think i'll write something about that soon. i can't right now because i don't have the time and i'm not in the proper place (i'm in sutherland's computer lab).

the more i learn about my gender, the more i wish i didn't have to specify. i somehow feel pressured all the time. i don't remember that happening all that often before. but when people recognize me for me instead of expecting something else, it feels good. can't trade that.

what the hell? was i trying to make a point? maybe not.
but i think i did anyway.

Aurora Borealis_23 said...

old post or not I really did laugh out loud at this one.

sit here and read interesting posts...or study European vital rates...? poop.