07 January 2009

happy

i am inexplicably happy.

i have no good reason to be, and maybe that's the best reason of all.

i made a new friend in my spanish class. that was what started it, really. then as i was walking home, my ipod decided to play "one thing" by finger eleven, which is quite possibly one of my favorite songs ever (though i'm not sure how close to the top of the list), and "times like these" by the foo fighters (instead of "everlong," which it started to play). i walked past a woman on my street, and we smiled at each other. how often does this happen? we both seemed unsure of whether we could get away with it, but when we parted, each of us was smiling more broadly than we had been before.

as i walked, i started thinking, as i have so many times in the past: this is my city, and i own it. this is the city that built my confidence, cemented it, and, when necessary, rebuilt it. i can look at the sky instead of the ground when i walk, and look at whomever i want. i love this city, and the idea of leaving it doesn't even really occur to me today.

when i got home, i meditated. this is hard for me, and it takes motivation, or at least a lot of energy. but i had a surplus, so i figured i might as well put it to good use. it seems like such a waste, when i have so much positive energy, to keep it all to myself. somebody else out there in the universe must need it.

No comments: